Below is a list of some of the commonly asked questions from employees. If your question is not in this list, please contact the administrator and they will be able to assist you. 


I have been made redundant. How do I make a claim?

In order to make a claim you need to complete and submit an Application for Payment of Benefit form which you can find under the Employee Tab. You can send this via scan & email, fax or the post to the addresses provided on the application form.

Once your claim has been received, the administrator will contact your previous employer or employers for the documentation which they are required to complete if it has not yet been received. 

The administrator will contact you if you are required to complete any additional documentation.

I have finished working for my employer but I was not made redundant. Can I make a claim?

Yes, you can make a claim, however under the rules of our trust, a 50 week waiting period with no further contributions will apply. This waiting commences from your termination date. Tax will be applied to all employments where you were not made redundant.

The tax rate will depend on a few factors. If your claim is receive by CIRT within 12 months of your termination date, the tax rate will be 32% (17% if you are over 55 at the date of payment). If your claim is received after 12 months from your finish date the tax rate will increase to the highest marginal rate (currently 49%).

I have finished working on one project but I have started a new project with the same employer. Can I make a claim?

Normally no. Your employment needs to be terminated before you can make a claim. If your employer has transferred you from one project to another, your employment has not been terminated and therefore you cannot make a claim.

I have resigned from an employer and am moving overseas permanently. Can I make a claim?

If you are moving overseas on a permanent basis, you do not need to wait the 50 week waiting period before your claim can be processed. You will need to submit documentation to show that you have left Australia. This would typically include copies of your visa or non-Australian passport and travel itinerary.

Your claim will be able to be processed once your final payment has been processed to CIRT by your employer. We recommend leaving your Australian bank account open until your payment has been process as additional fees are charged to deposit into international account and these will be deducted from your payment.

What is required to submit a CIRT Claim for financial hardship?

If you are not made redundant from your employer, there is normally a 50 waiting period with no further contributions to the trust before your claim can be processed. In cases of genuine financial hardship you can submit a claim to CIRT. Hardship claims require additional documentation to be complete and returned with supporting evidence of the hardship position (over due bills, loan statements, credit card statements, bank account statements, etc.) Each case is individually considered by the CIRT board at their quarterly board meetings. If approved, your claim will be processed however, tax will still apply.

If you are considering submitting a claim to CIRT on the grounds of financial hardship, please contact the administrator. They will be able to look at your situation and if hardship applies, send you the required documentation for completion.

Do I need to provide my separation certificate when submitting a claim?

You can submit your separation certificate when making a claim however a CIRT specific form is required to be able to process your claim. The administrator will contact your employers directly to have them complete the required documentation.

I have submitted a claim and received a payout but the amount is less than the balance I had in my CIRT account.

There are a couple of reasons why your payment amount is not the full amount in your fund account. The two most likely reasons are that a $40 withdrawal fee applies to most payments and tax will be deducted from the contributions paid by an employer who did not make you redundant. When a claim is made, a letter and applicable tax documentation is sent to the address you specify on your claim form. 

If you do not believe this covers your situation, contact the administrator and they will be able to check your payment and provide you with the details.

Does tax apply to payments made by CIRT?

Tax will apply to all contributions paid by employers where you were not made redundant. Details of the different tax rates applicable are available under the severance benefits page of the employee section on this website.  

I am still working with the same employer but I have changed to a salary position or to a different project and they no longer contribute to CIRT on my behalf. Can I make a claim?

As your employment has not terminated, you are not able to make a claim via the normal process and can only claim under indemnity.

To make a claim via indemnity, both you and your employer will need to sign an Indemnity form acknowledging that you have not been made redundant or resigned from your employment with the company and you consent to releasing the funds early. Indemnity payments will be taxed at the highest marginal rate and the gross amount of the payment is deducted from your redundancy entitlement if you are made redundant in the future.  

For more information on this process or to proceed with an indemnity claim, please call the administrator. 

Can I submit a claim over the phone?

No. All claims need to be made in writing and the forms must be signed. If an unsigned claim form is received, the administrator will return it to you for a signature. Once signed, you will need to resubmit your claim.

I have submitted a claim. Why have I received a membership application in the mail or through email?

All employees must submit a signed membership application form before they are able to claim any benefits through CIRT. If you have received a membership from in the mail or via email after submitting a claim, most likely, your employer has registered with CIRT on your behalf and a completed form has not been submitted to CIRT.

Please complete and return the membership application form to the administrator to continue processing your claim.

How long does it take to process a CIRT Claim?

The processing time for CIRT claims depends on a number of factors. 

All previous employers are required to complete and return a certificate of employment for each employment period being claimed. The administrators will continue to request this document until it is completed. 

Depending on the date you finished, there may be outstanding contributions due to CIRT when your claim is submitted as payments are due the month after they are earned. The application form gives you the option to indicate if you are waiting for these payments or not. If you choose not to wait, the claim will be processed once all documentation has been received and processed. If you choose to wait for the final contribution, your claim will be processed once this and all required documentation has been processed.

How long does it take to process a JETCO Claim?

JETCO claims are processed each week (usually on the last working day of the week). Your claim will be processed on the first payment run after we have received your completed claim form and all required documentation.

What is the difference between CIRT and JETCO?

CIRT is the redundancy fund and JETCO is the training fund. If your employer is contributing to CIRT, they may also be contributing to JETCO. An employer is not able to contribute to JETCO if they are not also contributing to CIRT for the employee.

How do I change my beneficiary and other details?

CIRT online allows a member to make changes to update many of their details including phone numbers and addresses. Alternatively, you can contact the administrator via email or phone and they can assist in making the required updates.

Changes to your beneficiary must be submitted in writing to the administrator. The beneficiary nomination form is available in the employee downloads section. 

My annual statement says I'm a non-member. What does this mean?

If your annual statement says that your membership status is a non-member, CIRT has not received and processed a membership application form at the time this statement was generated and your employer has registered with CIRT on your behalf. A signed membership application form will provided CIRT with additional information and is required prior to an employee being able to make a claim for any benefits through CIRT.

My current employer does not pay into the JETCO training fund. Can I make these payment myself?

No. JETCO can only be paid into by an employer when it is included in the applicable work agreement.

end faq